Who wants to pay more when you head out on a trip?
Do you want to save money by not using toll roads in a route and have a smoother journey by avoiding highways? Google Maps can help you accomplish that. It’s easy to configure Google Maps to show routes without tolls or highways.
How to Avoid Tolls and Highways Using the Google Maps Website
Here’s how to get Google Maps to show highways and routes without tolls on a desktop computer:
- Visit the Google Maps page.
- After entering the beginning and ending locations of your trip, hit Enter.
- In the lower-right corner, select Options.
- Please uncheck the boxes next to Highways and Tolls under Route Options. Next, select Close.
When planning your next trip, avoid paying tolls and other annoying charges!
How to Avoid Tolls and Highways on the Google Maps App
The Google Maps apps for iOS and Android also display roads and toll-free routes:
- Open the Google Maps application.
- Enter the places of your departure and arrival.
- In the upper right corner, tap the three vertical dots (Android) or the three horizontal dots (iOS).
- Choose either the iOS or Android Route Options or Options.
- On iOS, enable the toggle next to “Avoid Tolls” and “Avoid Motorways”; on Android, select the checkbox next to these choices.
- On Android, click Done, or on iOS, return to the previous window.
Once you set up Google Maps to display highway-free routes, it remembers this decision and displays alternative routes based on it in the future.
You can uncheck the boxes you just checked and follow the above steps to get the optimal route regardless of whether highways and tools are included.
Have a Smoother and Cheaper Journey
Steering clear of freeways and toll roads on your travel will save money and reduce discomfort. Your Google Maps choices are saved for all of your next trips, so you only need to set them up once. Remember that avoiding freeways and toll roads could make your trip take longer.