Among the most widely used word processors are Word and Google Docs. Here’s how to use Google Docs to open a Word document.
Google Docs allows you to download files as Microsoft Word documents, however you are unable to export Word documents straight to Docs.
You have two choices if you frequently alternate between the two word processors and need to open your Word document in Docs. The file can be added to Google Drive and then manually opened in Google Docs, or you can upload it straight to Google Docs.
Here are detailed instructions for both ways of uploading a Microsoft Word document to Google Docs.
How to Open a Microsoft Word File in Google Docs
By default, Google Docs allows you to import Word documents. Here’s how the process goes:
- Open Google Docs.
- Create a blank document.
- Click the File menu in the top-left corner and select Open
- Navigate to the Upload tab on the top.
- Click the Browse butto.
- Choose the Word document you wish to upload in Docs and click Open.
- Wait for the file to upload, and then Google Docs will directly open it.
Despite being simple, this method occasionally throws off the Word document’s formatting, particularly if it has any visual features. You can upload a document to Google Drive and open it straight in Docs from there if you don’t want it to happen. Here’s how to accomplish it:
- Launch Google Drive, then sign in.
- In the upper-left corner, click New and choose “File upload.”
- After choosing the Word document to upload, wait for the upload to be completed.
- Go to the Recent folder by using the left-hand navigation.
- Select the Word file by clicking the three vertical dots.
- Go to Open with and select Google Docs.
Upload Word Documents to Google Docs With Ease
A Word document in Docs can be opened in several different ways. Now you should be able to distinguish between the two approaches. Try both, then choose the one that best suits your needs and lifestyle.